Wednesday, February 1, 2012

First String Quilt




My friend Debbie from North Carolina sent me some 12 inch string blocks. I have never made these before but decided it was time to try this out. I chose to make them 8.5 as I had lots of paper that size in tablets.

I found out it is easy and sort of addictive. I followed her pattern of light down the middle, blue on one side and red on the other. I usually give away my scraps so I had to cut some strips from yardage.

I played with designs on my design wall which is a big piece of batting pinned up in the hallway. This is what I ended up with and I LIKE it.

I will now save strings so I can make more of these. I quilted it using the directions from the book Hooked On Feathers. That is my new quilt pattern for February.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

NICE! Now you know wqhy I enjoy string blocks so much!
pamela in SOMD

cityquilter grace said...

oh yeah, string quilts, love them all and this one too!

Debbie said...

It looks wonderful, Eileen! Welcome to the world of strips and strings. You'll have fun with them and it's a great way to use leftover bits of fabric.